Highschool students (and advanced eighth-graders) will explore elements of literature and develop beginning skills in literary analysis as they read and write upper-level essays, critiques, fiction, and poetry.
Prerequisites: Prior IEW experience or writing class with Mrs. Hartenburg, or by permission
This class will be offered if a minimum of six students is enrolled by June 26, 2020. Full tuition refunds will be made if the class is cancelled due to low enrollment.
Supplies Fee: Amount TBD for teacher-purchased supplies including the following:
- Literature selections and other resources TBD
- 3-ring notebook binder with tab dividers, course handouts, and reinforced lined notebook paper
- Composition book
- Dictionary & Thesaurus—classroom copies to share
- Classroom colored pencil sets
Families will need to secure the following supplies before the start of class: (Linked brands are suggestions.)
- Pens, black ink, 2 or more
- Pencils, 3 or more, pre-sharpened and ready to use
- Colored pencils, erasable, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and brown
- Dictionary & Thesaurus—for home use. Consider apps such as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and the English Thesaurus.
- Recommended/Optional: Reinforcing stickers for strengthening/repairing holes in notebook paper and handouts
Students must also have a public library card and access to the library as they will be required to secure and read library books and encyclopedia articles as instructed.
Finally, students will need to be able to type, print, and email assignments using a sharable word processing program such as Microsoft Word.