Level: Form III (7th–9th grades)
At Bluebonnet Home Scholars Collaborative, the study of math is rooted in wonder. Students are invited to delve deeply into the beauty of math and to undertake mathematical study as an act of worship in which they can catch a glimpse into the mind of God.
Bluebonnet’s Pre-algebra course continues the student’s transition from arithmetic to algebraic problem solving. Students will review basic math concepts and skills, and be introduced to the order of operations, operations and equations with negative numbers, basic geometric concepts with 2D figures and 3D solids, basic inequalities, simple linear equations and proportions, and probability. And students will gain experience converting word problems into algebraic form. Many topics covered offer a chance for students to make connections to their daily lives through algebraic expressions, and to explore how the beauty of math enables man to simplify the complexity of the world.
Families should purchase the following required supplies: (Note that workbooks must be clean copies.)
- Singapore Dimensions Math Textbook 7A (Fall)
- Singapore Dimensions Math Workbook 7A
- Singapore Dimensions Math Textbook 7B (Spring)
- Singapore Dimensions Math Workbook 7B
- A three-ring binder with lined/graph paper and dividers—or—a notebook (graphing or lined) with a 1.5″ binder (with lined/graph paper and dividers)
- Pencils & Erasers
- 1 black/blue and 1 red non-erasable pen
- 1 ruler (a small one is fine)
- A few color pencils or colored erasable pens (3 colors other than black)
- Scientific calculator such as this*
The following materials are optional but recommended:
- Singapore Dimensions Math Workbook Solutions 7A (Fall)
- Singapore Dimensions Math Workbook Solutions 7B (Spring)
Books can be purchased directly from the publisher at the above links or from The Homeschool Bookstore in Stafford.
* Once in Algebra 1 and up, BHSC math students are required to purchase a graphing calculator (TI 89 and up, with CAS). Families may choose to purchase the graphing calculator now in anticipation of future high school math classes, or families may purchase a less expensive calculator for this class and save the larger purchase for later classes. For the Pre-algebra class, it is highly recommended for the students to have a simple scientific calculator (all TI-30X or TI-33X models are acceptable) for at-home assignment usage. NO calculators will be needed for any examination during class, but it is useful for students to have a calculator for at-home assignments.