Subject(s): Science/Nature Study
This high school introductory physics & chemistry course combines up-to-date science with a Christian worldview and an educational approach that aims for wonder, integration, and mastery. Concepts covered include the nature of scientific knowledge, motion, Newton’s laws, variation and proportion, energy, heat and temperature, waves, sound, light, electricity and DC circuits, fields and magnetism, chemical substances, atomic models and density, atomic bonding, and chemical reactions. (Visit the publisher’s FAQ to learn more about how this publisher approaches the subject of evolution.) The Novare curriculum aims to nurture fascinated students who deeply understand and remember their science. Meeting Tuesday mornings and afternoons, this course will include both lab and lecture/discussion components.
Prerequisites: must have completed Algebra I.
Note: ASPC will not be offered in 2022-2023.
Families purchase the following required supplies:
- Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry, 2nd edition, by John D. Mays (ISBN: 9780998983349)
- Student Lab Report Handbook, 2nd edition, by John D. Mays (ISBN: 9780988322875) (one per family)—Note that this resource is used for all BHSC highschool-level science classes and can be reused each year and/or shared among siblings.
- Recommended: Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry Solutions Manual, 2nd edition (ISBN: 9780998983394)
- Lab goggles (such as these)—Goggles must fit up against the skin all the way around the eyes, and vented goggles are recommended.
- Graphing notebook like this one: Quadrille-ruled spiral notebook
- 3″x5″ index cards (or other flashcards/notes/study tools)
- 3-ring binder with five tab dividers and lined paper
- Scientific or graphing calculator* (one per student)
*Graphing calculators are also required for all BHSC high school math classes. Recommended calculators can be found on the college board site here. BHSC math instructor, Mrs. Panam, prefers TI-89 and up (with CAS).