Level: Form III (7th–9th grades)
In this course students study algebra through imaginative applications and clear problems derived from the real world. Technology tools are used to assist with time-comsuming calculations and to integrate graphing and problem-solving skills. Students will study expressions and equations, operations with negative numbers, distributing: axioms and other properties, harder equations, some operations with polynomials and radicals, quadratic equations, expressions and equations containing two variables, linear functions/scattered data/probability, properties and exponents, more operations with polynomials, rational algebraic expressions, radical algebraic expressions, inequalities, functions, and advanced topics. To add to the wonder and creative problem-solving side of math, Mrs. Panam will supplement the traditional textbook approach with additional challenge problems drawn from sources such as SAT practice exams and The Art of Problem Solving curriculum.
$5 supplies fee covers the cost of BHSC-purchased teacher materials/classroom resources.
Families should purchase the following required supplies:
- Pearson Texas, Algebra 1, Student Text (ISBN 10: 0133300633; ISBN 13: 9780133300635)—New or used is fine, but it must be the correct ISBN.
- Pencils & Erasers in a pouch
- 1 black/blue and 1 red non-erasable pen
- 1 ruler (a small one is fine)
- A few color pencils or colored erasable pens (3 colors other than black)
- Graphing Calculator*
- A three-ring binder with lined/graph paper and dividers—or—a notebook (graphing or lined) with a 1.5″ binder (with lined/graph paper and dividers)
*Since graphing calculators are allowed and recommended for most standardized tests, it is advisable to invest in one. It is important for students to feel comfortable using one, especially on a timed exam. Recommended calculators can be found on the college board site here. Mrs. Panam prefers TI-89 and up (with CAS).