Level: Form IV (10th–12th grades)
In this college-preparatory literature and composition course, high school students will survey American literature and develop skills in literary analysis and research as they read and write upper-level essays and critiques.
Prerequisites: Prior writing class with Mrs. Hartenburg, or by permission.
Families purchase the following required supplies: (Besides the textbook, linked brands for other items are suggestions.)
- Norton Anthology of American Literature Shorter Ninth Edition, ISBN: 9780393264517 (new or used copies)
- Dedicated, 3-inch, 3-ring notebook binder (Can reuse from previous class)
- Composition notebook
- Pens, black ink, 2 or more
- Pencils, 3 or more, pre-sharpened and ready to use
- Colored pencils, erasable, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and brown
- Dictionary & Thesaurus—for home use. Consider apps such as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and the English Thesaurus.
- Recommended/Optional: Reinforcing stickers for strengthening/repairing holes in notebook paper and handouts
Students must also have a public library card and access to the library as they may be required to secure and read library books and research articles.
Finally, students will need to be able to type, print, and email assignments using a sharable word processing program compatible with Microsoft Word.