Level: Form III (7th–9th grades)
Ancient historical characters, events, and stories will captivate students as they learn to write with structure and style. Students will take notes, summarize narrative stories, write from pictures, put together a research report on a historical person or event, and compose creative essays.
Over the course of the year, students will gain a growing awareness of sentence structure and grammar that goes hand-in-hand with their growing ability to amplify and manipulate the parts of a sentence. We will focus on developing vivid vocabulary and sentence variety in a range of compositions including both fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. As a class, students have the opportunity to participate in ongoing reading and typing challenges to develop skills and habits essential to competent communicators.
In addition to weekly class sessions, students should plan to spend another one to three hours each week completing assignments at home.
Families will need to purchase the following curricular materials before the start of class:
- Student Copy of Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons
- Easy Grammar: Plus Student Book ISBN: 9780936981147
- Easy Grammar Plus Student Test Booklet ISBN: 9780936981536
- Easy Grammar: Plus Teacher Edition (with answer key) ISBN: 9780936981130 (You can buy in a set with the 2 other required Easy Grammar books to save!)
- Worldly Wise 3000 3rd Edition Student Book 7
- Wordly Wise 3000 3rd Edition Book 7 Answer Key
- Pens, black ink, 2 or more
- Pencils, 3 or more, pre-sharpened and ready to use
- Colored pencils, erasable, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and brown
- One tab divider designated for Writing class in their regular BHSC binder, with reinforced lined notebook paper
- Three-hole punch and stapler (kept at home; used by students to prepare assignments for submission)
- Dictionary & Thesaurus—for home use. Consider apps such as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and the English Thesaurus.
- Recommended/Optional: Reinforc
ing stickers for strengthening/repairing holes in notebook paper and handouts