Level: Form III (7th–9th grades)
Ancient History & Geography will combine living books, narration, timeline, and maps to help students create connections between ancient history and the world around them.
Students will read, narrate, and discuss passages from hand-picked spine books and supplemental readings as well as various passages from the Bible. There will be weekly at-home reading assignments given so the students have the best possible opportunity to participate in class discussion and extend their learning to maximize the value of class time.
In addition, students will spend some time observing and tracing world maps relevant to the course material. Students will have the opportunity to understand how specific nations’ borders changed as they journey through history, as well as identifying major features on a map. Students will have the opportunity to research and present one person from Ancient History in a year-end “Who’s Who of History.”
Bluebonnet Scholars offers history on a rotating three-year cycle with studies synchronized across Forms 1 through 4 (grades K through 12th) so that all students are studying the same time period together. The Form 3 (7th through 9th grade) cycle is as follows:
- Cycle Year 1: (2023–24) Ancient through Early Medieval History
- Cycle Year 2: (2024–25) Medieval through Early Modern History
- Cycle Year 3: (2025–26) Modern History (with an emphasis on American History)
Families purchase the following required supplies: (Correct editions of books—matching ISBNs—are required.)
- Ancient Egypt and Her Neighbors, by Lorene Lambert, printed book from Simply Charlotte Mason
- Augustus Caesar’s World, by Genevieve Foster, ISBN: 9780964380325
- Eusebius: The Church History, illustrated; translated by Paul L. Maier, ISBN: 082543307X (paperback) or ISBN: 0825433282 (hardback—recommended!)
- Copy of the Bible in the translation of your choice (Note: There are translations that are thought-for-thought translations, not paraphrase, at varying reading levels if student reading fluency is a factor. NIrV and ERV are both at approximately a 3rd grade reading level. NIV is at approximately a 7th grade reading level and will most often be used in class.)
- Bachmore Translucent Vellum Paper, 8.5×11″ Tracing Pad, 56 LB
- Record of Time Timeline Notebook—landscape layout—with blank timeline pages—Note: This item has been discontinued except as digital download; BHSC has purchased printing rights, and printed timelines in binders are available for purchase from BHSC, price TBD. Enrolled families will be contacted with additional information. Returning students will use the same timeline binder as in previous terms.
- Recommended: Printable Suggested Timeline Placement Guide
- Three-ring binder with dividers, lined paper, pencils, colored pencils, and erasers in a pencil pouch
- The instructor will assign additional research & reading assignments; some books and resources may be available from the public libraries, some may require purchase.
- Additional supplies TBD