Level: Form II (4th–6th grades)
Subject(s): Art/Art Appreciation
Students will explore a variety of art media and techniques and deepen their understanding of the elements of design as they respond to historical master artists with their own original work. In each unit, students will learn a new visual art technique and create original imaginative work with a variety of mediums such as acrylic, and tempera paints, ink, pastel, crayon, metal, and clay. Students will come to understand the elements of design through practice. They will evaluate their own work based on simple rubrics, and seek to improve as they are able. Students will also have the opportunity to present and share completed artwork.
Families purchase the following supplies:
Note: If you already own similar supplies, just purchase what you need. Feel free to shop in other places if you would like. We try our best to find the highest quality at a low price for supplies.
- Mixed-media sketchbook (any size) such as this.
- A good quality watercolor paint set such as this one, or the set recommended for use in the Nature Journaling class: Winsor & Newton Cotman Water Colour Paint Sketchers’ Pocket Box
- Basic acrylic paint set—such as this
- Paint brush set —like this with round and flat brushes
- Regular pencil, eraser &/or ebony sketch pencils like this
- Apron or smock
- Colored pencils similar to these soft, blending pencils (optional)