Level: Form IV (10th–12th grades)
Since 2012, lab physicist and math coach Mary (Marina) Panam has helped hundreds of students excel on the SAT math test and succeed in college-prep math courses. In 2020 she began offering rigorous, top-notch math instruction for BHSC students. Mrs. Panam teaches BHSC high school math classes: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Precalculus, and Calculus.
Mrs. Panam earned her Bachelor’s degree in Applied Physics (specialization in Optics) from the New Jersey Institute of Technology and her Master’s in Physics (specialization in Microelectronics) through a joint program between Rutgers University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology. She was part of a published research team that worked on defense projects. Mary graduated with honors and was the recipient of the NSF Research Fellowship. She also worked as a physics lab instructor at Rutgers University and at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Read more about the instructor here.
Families should purchase the following supplies:
- Calculus textbook
- Princeton Review AP Calculus BC 2023 book, ISBN-10: 0593450698; ISBN-13: 978-0593450697
- Pencils & Erasers in a pouch
- 1 black/blue and 1 red non-erasable pen
- 1 ruler (a small one is fine)
- Index cards (about 100) and an index card holder/case
- A few colored pencils or colored erasable pens (optional, 3 colors other than black)
- Graphing Calculator*
- A three-ring binder with lined/graph paper and dividers—or—a notebook (graphing or lined) with a 1.5″ binder (with lined/graph paper and dividers)
*Since graphing calculators are allowed and recommended for most standardized tests, it is advisable to invest in one. It is important for students to feel comfortable using one, especially on a timed exam. Recommended calculators can be found on the college board site here. Mrs. Panam prefers TI-89 and up (with CAS).