Level: Form IV (10th–12th grades)
Subject(s): Science/Nature Study
From the publisher’s website:
General Biology is a brilliant new high school biology text that combines up-to-date science with a Christian worldview and the mastery-based educational philosophy for which Novare is known.
The book starts at the atomic level and progresses to ever-larger scales: cells, genes, microorganisms, plants, animals, and human organ systems. Each chapter includes straightforward learning objectives, exercises that call for both clear articulation of thoughts and full-sentence answers, and an organization of topics that steadily builds chapter by chapter. The final chapters of the book survey ecology and the theory of evolution. Read our FAQ to learn more about how we approach the subject of evolution.
Like all Novare texts, mastery-based learning methods are an essential part of General Biology, propelling students not only to learn but also to substantially retain the content for years after completing the course. The book succinctly and logically covers a wide array of information in a modest number of pages, making it a pleasure to read. Brilliant and beautiful graphics, which appear on almost every page, draw students into mature engagement with the content.
- Novare’s General Biology, ISBN: 9781732638433
- The Apprentice’s Companion to General Biology, ISBN: 9781732638464
- 3-ring binder with 8 tabbed dividers
- Looseleaf notebook paper
- Scientific or graphing calculator (optional)
- 3″x5″ index cards, for making flashcards (optional)
- Lab goggles (such as these)—Goggles must fit up against the skin all the way around the eyes, and vented goggles are recommended. Siblings enrolled in science classes at different times may share a set of goggles.
- Pencils & erasers in a pencil pouch
- Blue or black ink pen
- Colored pencils, post-it flags, or highlighters for annotation (optional)