Level: Form II (4th–6th grades)
In this course, Form 2a and Form 2b students will learn and apply spelling rules, review parts of speech, diagram sentences, practice penmanship, practice oral reading, and read and recite classic works of poetry. With our commitment to incorporate the best of both classical tradition and contemporary research, this course uses researched-based best practices for helping students of all abilities and grade levels. Instruction will be individuated for students at various levels within Form 2. Learning outcomes include growth in the foundational operations of language—listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
BHSC will offer parents free ELA training at the beginning of the school year.
Note: A placement test is required for all students entering ELA classes at BHSC for the first time levels 1-b and above.
Parents purchase the following required materials:
- Spell to Write and Read core kit (one per family)—Note that this resource is used for all BHSC English Language Arts (ELA) classes, Kindergarten through 6th grade; it is a teaching resource that parents can use with multiple children and over multiple years.
- Sentence Diagramming: Beginning (for Form 2a)
- Sentence Diagramming: Level 1 (for Form 2b)
- Optional: Cursive First (one per family)—Note that this resource is used for BHSC ELA classes, Kindergarten through 3rd grade and beyond; it is a teaching resource that parents can use with multiple children and over multiple years.
We strongly recommend the following material for students in the Form 2 ELA classes: (A suggested at-home assignment schedule for these books will be provided in the Form 2-a and 2-b ELA syllabuses to round out the students’ ELA education; these books will not be covered in class.)
- Wordly Wise 3000 Student Book, 3rd ed., either Book 4 for 4th grade, or Book 5 for 5th grade, or Book 6 for 6th grade
- Wordly Wise 3000 Answer Key, 3rd ed., either Book 4 Answer Key, or Book 5 Answer Key, or Book 6 Answer Key
Families also supply a 3-ring notebook with lined paper, pencils, colored pencils, and erasers in a pencil pouch.