Level: Form II (4th–6th grades)
In this course, Form II students will learn and apply spelling rules, review parts of speech, diagram sentences, practice penmanship, practice oral reading, and read and recite classic works of poetry. With our commitment to incorporate the best of both classical tradition and contemporary research, this course uses researched-based best practices for helping students of all abilities and grade levels. Instruction will be individuated for students at various levels within Form II. Learning outcomes include growth in the foundational operations of language—listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
BHSC will offer parents free ELA training at the beginning of each quarter. The first training will be offered during Student Orientation on August 23, and subsequent trainings will be offered during the 9:25-10:40 am class period on Fridays October 14, January 13, and March 3.
Parents purchase the following required materials:
- Spell to Write and Read core kit (one per family)—Note that this resource is used for all BHSC English Language Arts (ELA) classes, Kindergarten through 6th grade; it is a teaching resource that parents can use with multiple children and over multiple years.
- Sentence Diagramming: Beginning
- Sentence Diagramming: Level 1
- Graphing paper or notebook such as this quad-ruled Spiral notebook
- Optional: Cursive First (one per family)—Note that this resource is used for BHSC ELA classes, Kindergarten through 3rd grade and beyond; it is a teaching resource that parents can use with multiple children and over multiple years.
Families also supply a 3-ring notebook, pencils, colored pencils, and erasers in a pencil pouch.
We recommend the following vocabulary program to round out the student’s ELA curriculum:
- Optional: Wordly Wise 3000 Student Book, 3rd ed., either Book 4 for 4th grade, Book 5 for 5th grade, or Book 6 for 6th grade
- Optional: Wordly Wise 3000 Answer Key, 3rd ed., either Book 4 Answer Key, Book 5 Answer Key, or Book 6 Answer Key
- Note that Wordly Wise is a vocabulary workbook which you may opt to have students complete at home. The curriculum will not be used during the BHSC ELA class period.