Level: Form I (K–3rd grades)
NEW in 2023–24: Now offering sections for both Form 1a and Form 1b!
In this multi-sensory and interdisciplinary block class, students will learn Latin through song and play, hear and narrate living history stories, study art and artists related to the history they are studying, and make their own original works of art in response.
History: Bluebonnet Scholars offers history on a rotating three-year cycle with studies synchronized across Forms 1 through 4 (grades K through 12th) so that all students are studying the same time period together.
For Form 1a (grade 1), students will follow a gentle, living books approach to ancient history in 2023-2024, incorporating material from The Jesus Storybook Bible and various living picture books that help ancient civilizations come to life in the imaginations of young students.
For Form 1b (grades 2 to 3), the history spines are as follows:
- Cycle Year 1: Ancient History (2023-2024) (creation to c. 476 AD)—The Story of the World, 1
- Cycle Year 2: Medieval History (2024-2025) (c. 476 AD to 1368)—The Story of the World, 2
- Cycle Year 3: Early Modern History (2025-2026) (c. 1368 to 1850)—The Story of the World, 3
Art: In addition to the narrative history books, the Form 1 students will also study art/artists chronologically through the Artistic Pursuits Early Elementary series and make creative works of their own in response.
Latin: Form 1a students will enjoy a gentle introduction to Latin studies, learning songs, hymns, prayers, nursery rhymes, and poems in Latin using Mater Anserina and Lingua Angelica.
Students in Form 1b will use Song School Latin from Classical Academic Press. We follow a 2-year rotation in Form 1b LHA, with Song School Latin Book 1 covered in 2023-2024 and Song School Latin Book 2 covered in 2024-2025.
For Form 1a (1st-grade), families purchase the following required supplies:
- The Jesus Storybook Bible
- Mater Anserina: Poems in Latin for Children
- Lingua Angelica Song Book
- Lingua Angelica Prayers & Hymns Audio: CD available here OR CD & streaming available to purchase here
- A blank sketch notebook, such as this one
- The instructor will provide a living book list in the syllabus for parents to select from for home supplementation, whether from the library or to purchase for home use.
- Optional/Recommended for Bible history extension: The Great Adventure Kids Pack, or just The Great Adventure Kids Bible Coloring Book (Consider getting one coloring book per sibling.)
For Form 1b, families purchase the following required supplies:
- Song School Latin Student Book 1 and CD
- Early Modern History –The Story of the World Vol. 1
- A half-blank drawing and lined notebook, such as this one
Families also supply lined paper in a 3-prong folder with pockets, pencils, colored pencils, and erasers in a pencil pouch.
Optionally, families in both 1a and 1b may choose to purchase supplies and home copies of the following if they desire to supplement the art studies at home: