In this tuition-free class led by Dr. Gary Hartenburg, students will develop critical thinking, listening, and discussion skills as they grapple with foundational questions of faith and existence. Students will read and discuss a variety of classic literature along with selected works of the writers known as the Inklings, such as C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien, as well as similar-minded contemporaries such as Dorothy Sayers and G. K. Chesterton. Students will be expected to complete reading assignments in preparation for class, and there may be optional writing assignments.
In 2023–24, the focus will be on the Inklings and great works of ancient literature.
2023–24: Families purchase the following required supplies: (Unless otherwise indicated, the listed ISBNs are required, and each sibling needs their own copy. Used books are fine as long as the ISBN matches. Some books will be used again throughout the Intro to Inklings/Inklings & Classics class cycles, and siblings in different classes may share copies.)
- Genesis, any Bible translation (not a paraphrase), NKJV preferred
- Homer, The Iliad, trans. Caroline Alexander, ISBN: 0062046284
- Herodotus, The Landmark Herodotus: The Histories*, selections ISBN-10: 1400031141/ISBN-13: 978-1400031146
- Thucydides, The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War, selections, ISBN: 0684827905
- Plato, Meno, Five Dialogues, trans. G. M. A. Grube* ISBN: 087220633
- Williams, The Place of the Lion ISBN: 1604443626
- Sayers, Letters to a Diminished Church,* selections, ISBN: 0849945267
- Sappho, two selected poems translated by Dr. Tim Bartel (Provided in course pack; no purchase necessary.
- Lewis, The Weight of Glory,* selections, ISBN: 0060653205
- The Acts of the Apostles, any Bible translation (not a paraphrase), NKJV preferred
- Mengzi and Zhu Xi, Mengzi: With Selections from Traditional Commentaries, trans. Bryan Van Norden, ISBN: 087220913X
- Homer, The Odyssey, trans. Richmond Lattimore, ISBN: 006124418X
Lewis, The Magician’s Nephew, The Chronicles of Narnia boxed set*, Collectors Edition, ISBN: 0064409392
Composition notebook and/or lined paper in a 3-ring notebook (or in a dedicated tabbed section in a multi-subject binder)
Pens, black ink, 2 or more
Pencils, 3 or more, pre-sharpened and ready to use
- Optional: Colored pencils, erasable, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and brown
Recommended: Dictionary—for home use. Consider an app such as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.