In this tuition-free class led by Dr. Gary Hartenburg, students will develop critical thinking, listening, and discussion skills as they grapple with foundational questions of faith and existence. Students will read and discuss a variety of classic literature along with selected works of the writers known as the Inklings, especially C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien, as well as similar-minded contemporaries such as Dorothy Sayers and G. K. Chesterton.
For 2021–22, the focus will be on significant works of the Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation/Counter-
Students will be expected to complete reading assignments in preparation for class, and there may be optional writing assignments.
$12 supplies fee covers the cost of BHSC-purchased student materials including teaching/classroom resources.
Families purchase the following required supplies: (Every student must have their own copy and each book must be the correct edition/ISBN number.)
- The Gospel of Mark, any Bible translation (not a paraphrase)
- Plato, Timaeus, ISBN-10: 1585107921
- Attar, The Conference of the Birds, trans. Sholeh Wolpé, ISBN-10: 9780393355543
- Yehudah HaLevi, The Kuzari: In Defense of the Despised Faith, trans. N. Daniel Korobkin, ISBN-10: 1598269615 (HARDBACK)
- Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy, trans. Allen Mandelbaum, ISBN-10: 0679433139 (HARDBACK)
- C. S. Lewis, The Silver Chair, ISBN-10: 9780064409452
- Nicolaus Copernicus, On the Revolutions of Heavenly Spheres, ISBN-10: 1573920355
- Christine De Pizan, The Book of the City of Ladies, trans. Ineke Hardy, ISBN-10: 1624667295
- St. Teresa Of Avila, The Interior Castle, ISBN-10: 0895552272
- John Calvin, Steward of God’s Covenant: Selected Writings, ISBN-10: 1400096480
- Edmund Spencer, The Faerie Queene, Book One, ISBN-10: 0872208079
- René Descartes, Meditations on First Philosophy, ISBN-10: 0872201929
- Matsuo Basho, The Narrow Road to the Deep North, trans. Nobuyuki Yuasa, ISBN-10: 9780140441857
- Dorothy Sayers, Are Women Human?, ISBN-10: 0802829961
Families provide three-ring binder with lined paper, as well as pens, pencils, and erasers in a pencil pouch.