In this literature and composition course, middle school and highschool students will explore elements of literature and develop beginning skills in literary analysis. With step-by-step instructions, Windows to the World teaches students how to analyze elements of literature: setting, plot, characterization, imagery, allusions, parallelism, and much more.
Note: Literature & Composition will not be offered in 2022-2023.
Families purchase the following required supplies: (Besides the 4 texts, linked brands for other items are suggestions.)
- Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis [Student Book only], ISBN: 978-0-9801005-1-8 (First Edition, January 2008)
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, ISBN: 0060935464 (January 1, 2002, paperback)
- Hamlet, Folger Shakespeare Library, ISBN: 9780743477123 (July 1, 1992, paperback)—Note that this text will also be used in the BHSC Plutarch & Shakespeare class; students only need one copy.
- Jensen’s Punctuation ISBN: 9780890519943
- Composition notebook
- Pens, black ink, 2 or more
- Pencils, 3 or more, pre-sharpened and ready to use
- Colored pencils, erasable, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and brown
- Dictionary & Thesaurus—for home use. Consider apps such as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and the English Thesaurus.
- Recommended/Optional: Reinforcing stickers for strengthening/repairing holes in notebook paper and handouts
Students must also have a public library card and access to the library as they may be required to secure and read library books and research articles.
Finally, students will need to be able to type, print, and email assignments using a sharable word processing program compatible with Microsoft Word.