In this literature and composition course, middle school and high school students will explore elements of literature and develop beginning skills in literary analysis. With step-by-step instructions, Windows to the World teaches students how to analyze elements of literature: setting, plot, characterization, imagery, allusions, parallelism, and much more.
Families purchase the following required supplies: (Besides the 3 texts below, which require the exact ISBNs, linked brands for other items are suggestions.)
- A 3-ring binder with lined paper. Dividers will be provided by your instructor; the binder should be used solely for this class. (Previous BHSC Writing students can plan to reuse their dedicated, writing class binder, complete with dividers.)
- Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis [Student Book only], ISBN: 978-0-9801005-1-8 (First Edition, January 2008)
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, ISBN-13 : 978-1420951769 (January 5, 2016, illustrated by Harvey Dunn with introductions by G. K. Chesterton, Andrew Lang, and Edwin Percy Whipple)—Note that siblings will each need their own copy for annotating.
- Hamlet, Folger Shakespeare Library, ISBN: 9780743477123 (July 1, 1992, paperback)—Note that this text will sometimes also be used in the BHSC Plutarch & Shakespeare class rotation (but not in 2023–24); students only need one copy, but siblings will each need their own copy for annotating.
- Easy Grammar Ultimate Series: 180 Daily Teaching Lessons Grade 9 Student Workbook
- Composition notebook
- Pens, black ink, 2 or more
- Pencils, 3 or more, pre-sharpened and ready to use
- Colored pencils, erasable, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and brown
- Dictionary & Thesaurus—for home use. Consider apps such as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and the English Thesaurus.
- Recommended/Optional: Reinforcing stickers for strengthening/repairing holes in notebook paper and handouts
The following required resource will be group sourced, billed, and provided through BHSC for group savings and online supplementation; do NOT purchase elsewhere:
- Wordly Wise, Book 9—BHSC will provide students this text as well as an included Quizlet subscription, and families will be billed $13.00 through the Parent Portal. Please do not purchase this text separately.
Students must also have a public library card and access to the library as they may be required to secure and read library books and research articles.
Finally, students will need to be able to type, print, and email assignments using a sharable word processing program compatible with Microsoft Word.