Level: Form IV (10th–12th grades)
Subject(s): Science/Nature Study
This advanced high school chemistry course combines up-to-date science with a Christian worldview and an educational approach that aims for wonder, integration, and mastery. Meeting Tuesday mornings and Thursday afternoons, this course will include both lab and lecture/discussion components.
From the textbook publisher’s website:
“Chemistry for Accelerated Students is an ideal text for students who love science and aspire to a STEM-oriented college program. This book contains up-to-date chemistry information, beautiful illustrations, and lucid narrative. It also supports Novare’s trademark mastery-learning paradigm.
This accelerated text is a more intense treatment than our General Chemistry text. This text includes additional chapters on thermochemistry, chemical equilibrium, and a glimpse into organic chemistry. Ample exercises are included in each chapter giving students plenty of opportunities to develop skills. Explanations move along a little faster and go into a little more depth than the grade-level text.
Although the mathematics involved in chemistry are generally not advanced, Chemistry for Accelerated Students is recommended for students who are concurrently enrolled in Algebra II. As with all Novare textbooks, our Textbook Philosophy guides the layout and composition of the text. Colors and images are attractive without being distracting.”
Families purchase the following required supplies:
- Chemistry for Accelerated Students 2nd edition textbook, by John D. Mays (ISBN: 9780997284539)
- Chemistry Experiments for High School (ISBN: 9780990439769)
- Novare Chemistry Supplement (ISBN: 9780990439707)
- The Student Lab Report Handbook (2nd edition), by John D. Mays (ISBN: 9780988322875) (one per family)—Note that this resource is used for all BHSC highschool-level science classes and can be reused each year and/or shared among siblings.
- Recommended: Chemistry for Accelerated Students Solutions Manual
- 3-ring binder with tab dividers and lined paper
- Scientific or graphing calculator* (one per student)
- Lab goggles (such as these)—Goggles must fit up against the skin all the way around the eyes, and vented goggles are recommended.
- Graphing paper, loose leaf or in a notebook like this one: Quadrille-ruled spiral notebook
- Optional: 3″x5″ index cards (or other flashcards/notes/study tools)
*Graphing calculators are also required for all BHSC high school math classes. Recommended calculators can be found on the college board site here. BHSC math instructor, Mrs. Panam, prefers TI-89 and up (with CAS).